Wednesday, February 17, 2010

My Latest Painting: The Jewish Experience of Suffering

This painting titled: The Jewish Experience of Suffering which I have just completed, is in honor of all of my many Jewish Friends.
During my teen years in Toronto, Canada I was a member of the Leah Posluns Theatre School located right next to the Jewish Community Centre on Sheppard and Bathurst.  My twin brother and I have many fond memories of going to the Leah Posluns theatre and to the JCC.  I believe that is where I first tried Matzah ball soup and have enjoyed it ever since. 

I can honestly say that as a Canadian of Italian-Catholic descent, the faculty/teachers and members of these Jewish Institutions welcomed my twin brother and I with open arms.  I could not have asked for better friends and more welcoming people.

I was included in all of their religeous celebrations and holidays.  It gave me great insight on a wonderful culture that is rich in history, art and has strong family values, which is not unlike my own Italian heritage.

I never understood and probably still don't know as to why this group has been and to a certain extent still is the subject of racism and abuse...I am sorry I just don't get it.
If there is one thing that I have learned from these people, I would say, "it is not that Jews want to suffer, but rather that Jews have constantly been made to suffer", and yet despite all of this adversity this is a culture that has endured and will continue to endure.  I can't remember who it was that once said, commend he who succeeds without adversity and through guidance and encouragment, but the one to be most commended is he who succeeds in spite of hell.  I thank the Jewish people for this great lesson.

2 comments:

  1. Quite a painting, Tony! Good stuff. Way cool. Keep on keeping on.
    -Daniel Vahab

    ReplyDelete